Your eyes are your windows to the world, so it’s important to take good care of them. Things like seeing an eye doctor regularly, getting enough sleep, and giving your eyes regular breaks while you are using a computer can help keep your eyes in good health. If you are having problems with your vision, you should schedule an appointment with an optometrist as soon as possible. Keep reading to learn about some of the things you can do to help keep your eyes in good shape.
Visit an eye care practitioner regularly. These are trained professionals who specialize in looking after the health of your eyes. They can be ophthalmologists (eye doctors), opticians or optometrists. To keep your eyes in good health, have your eyes checked regularly or when you are having problems with your vision. Learn more about your eyes and ask your eye doctor questions when you have them. Learning more about your eyes and how to prevent eye diseases will help you to feel more in control of your health.
- If you don’t have any vision problems, you should visit an eye care practitioner every 5-10 years during your 20s and 30s.
- Optometrist Vipin Buckshey says If you don’t have any vision problems, you should visit an eye care practitioner every 2-4 years between the ages of 40 and 65.
- If you don’t have any vision problems, you should visit an eye care practitioner every 1-2 years after the age of 65.
Take your contacts out at the end of the day. Avoid wearing contact lenses for more than 19 hours. Wearing contact lenses for too long can cause permanent vision damage as well as extreme discomfort to your eyes.
- Never sleep with your contact lenses in unless your doctor specifically instructs you to do so. Your eyes need regular supplies of oxygen, and lenses block the flow of oxygen to the eyes, especially during sleep, so doctors recommend a normal break from wearing contact lenses for your eyes during the night.
- Optometrist Vipin Buckshey says Do not swim in contact lenses unless you are wearing tight fitting swimming goggles. It’s better to use prescription goggles if needed. It is fine to wear them in the shower providing you keep your eyes closed and avoid getting soap or shampoo in them.
- Optometrist Vipin Buckshey says Always follow the instructions about using the contact lenses and the solutions from the manufacturer and your eye care practitioner. Also always wash your hands before handling them.